Saturday, September 20, 2008

Yong Joon's Essay

Gualsan translated and posted this essay of Yong Joon on BYJ's Quilt. Thanks so much Gualsan!

According to her it is likely that this essay was written near Yong Joon's debut. Here is the essay and photos of Hajodae in Kangwon-do.

Hajodae
by Bae Yong Joon
Posted by
Gaulyoja on KOB
Korean to English translation by Gualsan on BYJ's Quilt

I’ve traveled almost every part of Kangwon-do, but the pIace that comes up in my mind first is Hajodae, the pIace that I’ve stayed for about 3 months, two years ago. Its magnificent nature is well preserved, and there is very few people because that area is preserved as a resort for military personnel.

On a stormy day, I stood near the cliff of Hajodae, which was echoing the roll of thunder. The scene of the waves shattering into white foam was so magnificent that I think the memory of the scene will last till the end of my life.

I often speared fishes, and there was a funny episode with a fish named “Goonsoo”. The old fishers of the village told me that boiled ‘Goonsoo’ – a kind of sea mollusk whose size is about one feet - has a special taste. Hearing their advice, I became curious how it would taste, so I caught four large Goonsoos and put it in a large pot and boiled it. When the water began to boil, I opened the lid of the pot, and Oh my God! I was confused. Those Goonsoos were shrunken into the size of a finger! Anyway, whenever I think of Goonsoo, I still laugh.

I recently visited that pIace with Kwon Oh Joong, who became friends while shooting ‘Love Greeting’. That pIace gives me new impressions each time I visit there. Hajodae was the pIace that I ended the wandering of my youth, and was the pIace that I made a new start. Therefore it has a special meaning to me and my life.





***

Seeing the photos above, I'm reminded that my pale skin needs the beach. We have beautiful beaches in our country. Our beaches lure tourist to visit our country. ^^

No comments: